I love coleslaw! Unfortunately, a lot of recipes are just dripping in mayo. No thank you! This version is tangy, crunchy and full of flavor. You won’t miss the mayo, promise.
With the addition of lime and cilantro, this slaw takes on a very TexMex flavor. It pairs beautifully with Mexican food of any kind. Use it as a topping, or a side dish. A few spoonfuls of this stuff on top of your tacos is a fun and flavorful substitution for lettuce. It’s especially great in the winter time when tomatoes (my very favorite topping) are out of season, and you want something with a little acidic bite to it to pair with hearty food.
- 1/2 red cabbage (shredded)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro (rough chopped)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt (or non-fat sour cream)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard seed
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin seed (Just a pinch! This stuff is strong!)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add cabbage and cilantro to a large mixing bowl
- Combine remaining ingredients in separate bowl, and whisk to combine
- Top cabbage mixture with yogurt mixture and toss to thoroughly distribute dressing
- Refrigerate 30 minutes to an hour before serving to allow flavors to develop