I’ve seen variations on this recipe around for some time, but have never tried it until today. Roasting the chicken with the fruit gives it a delicious sweetness, and a very different flavor from my usual rosemary and garlic combo. I’m glad I tried it, and you will be too if you’re so inclined. It was really good. It has a subtle sweetness from the apples, and a light onion scent from the leeks. Everything worked together beautifully. It’s also a one pot recipe, which wins major points in my book.
If you end up with some leftovers, roasted chicken is a great thing to have on hand for quick meals. You’re 30 seconds from a roasted chicken salad. Toss it in with some veggies and pasta for a 10 minute dinner. The possibilities are vast.
Pre-cut chicken parts are super convenient, but if you’re willing to cut it yourself – you’ll save about 50%. Youtube taught me how to butcher a chicken in 2 minutes. You can do it too, promise! All you need is a sharp knife and some gusto. Chickens are so, so inexpensive when you buy them whole. It goes on sale almost bi-weekly at my local market for less than 75 cents per pound. I’ll buy 2 or 3 and stash them in the freezer for the right moment.
- 1 whole chicken 3-4 pounds (quartered or separated)
- 3 leeks (washed, trimmed and halved vertically and horizontally)
- 4 firm apples (cored and quartered)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Heat a large dutch to medium heat on your stovetop
- Drizzle the chicken parts with a bit of the oil and rub down with the seasoning mix
- Place skin side down in the pan with remaining oil and allow to brown for about 2 minutes
- Turn chicken and brown other side for an additional 2 minutes
- Remove chicken from pot
- Deglaze pan with chicken stock and add cinnamon stick
- Add leeks and apples to the pot and toss to coat with broth
- Add chicken back in nestling between apple pieces
- Cover pot and bake at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and apples are tender
- Remove cover for last 10 minutes to brown