This simple, vegetarian weeknight meal is just bursting with flavor! Even better, it will come together for you in about 20 minutes, most of which is waiting for pasta to boil. Hurrah! Bright and fresh lemon pair beautifully with basil, nutty Parmesan and the crunch of almonds. The peas add a touch of sweetness that just completes the flavor party perfectly. Pretty good for 20 minutes. Weeknight hero status. Wear your apron backwards. Bam. Cape.
Add as much or as little lemon juice as you like here. I love lemons more than your average bear, so I used lots! If your tastes are more on the mild side, start with half, taste and increase accordingly.
Lemon Garlic Linguine with Almonds and Peas // Recipe Serves 4
- 1/2 pound dry linguine
- Salt for the pasta water
- 4-5 cloves garlic (fine mince)
- 6 tablespoons good quality olive oil
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup raw almonds (rough chopped)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 8-10 fresh basil leaves (fine chiffonade)
- Heat olive oil in a small skillet to medium low
- Add chopped garlic and allow to simmer in the oil for a couple of minutes. When the edges begin to brown, remove pan from heat and allow to cool. Add red pepper flakes here if desired
- Cook linguine to package directions in salted water, and add frozen peas during the last minute of cook time
- Drain pasta and add to a large mixing bowl. Top with oil and garlic mixture, and toss to coat
- Add remaining ingredients and toss thoroughly
I used spinach linguine here, because it’s what I had in my pantry. Thus, the pretty green color. Use whatever you have stashed away here. Swap for pine nuts, maybe some rosemary instead of the basil….pasta tastes good with everything!
There are few things more beautiful and mouthwatering to me than a big plate of pasta. carbs are fantastic.
Good news: I finished Diablo 3! I get major nerd points.I won’t bore you with the details, but I had fun. This means my attention is divided among fewer distractions. Perhaps I will finally get these loads of photos off of my laptop and onto the blog! The pasta is a good start.